The Bhramari pranayama breathing practice derives its name from the black Indian bee called Bhramari. It is beneficial and instantly calming down the mind. It is one of the best breathing exercises to free the mind of distress, anxiety, or frustration and get rid of anger to a great level. It can be practiced anywhere – at your office or home, as far as you are comfortable in your space.
It is a soothing practice that calms the nervous system as we take out the gentle humming sound from the back of our throat, which sounds like a bee.
Steps to do Bhramari Pranayama
Make an atmosphere for yourself, and choose a quiet and calm place to create a peaceful space for your body, mind, and soul to merge together.
- Sit on the Padmasana or any other sitting Asana
- Keep your eyes closed and breathe deeply.
- Now close your ears lids with your thumbs.
- Then, take your index finger above your eyebrows and place the rest of the three fingers over your eyes.
- Apply minimal pressure on the sides of your nose and take a deep breath.
- While inhaling the air, make loud humming sounds like that of a bee. You can adjust the pitch of the sound, depending upon your level of comforts. Repeat this practice 6-7 times to feel light.
In this respiration process, your lips will be closed, and you will be connected to all the positive energies of the universe.
- Pregnant or menstruating women should not practice it.
- People who are suffering from epilepsy, chest pain, and high blood pressure should not do this Pranayama.
- It should not be practiced in a supine position (lying down).
Bhramari Pranayama is best practiced on an empty stomach. Even though it can be practiced at any time of the day, but doing it early morning and late at night is most effective.
Let’s look at the health benefits of Bhramari Pranayama:
- It Improving concentration and memory
- Gives relief from a slight headache
- It Calms and quiets the mind
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Strengthens and improves the voice
- Lowers blood pressure
- Supports the healing of bodily tissues
- Releases cerebral tension
- Makes sound sleep
- It opens the blockage and gives a feeling of happiness to the mind and brain.
- Help in relieving from hypertension.
- Helpful in curing Paralysis and migraines.
- It helps the practitioner to stay away from all types of throat ailments.
Bhramari Pranayama is a life-long cure for mental stresses; it is an immediate solution for your de-structured self. Align your mind, body, and soul by using the science behind the humming sound. It is time to re-charge your body cells with a breath.